On the island at the mouth of the Contoocook river stands the granite memorial erected to commemorate the achievement of Mrs. Duston, Mary Neff, and Samuel Leonardson, in liberating themselves from captivity. The statue was erected mainly through the efforts of Robert B. Caverly of Lowell, and Eliphalet S. Nutter of Concord. The first step to that end was the conveyance, by Messrs. John C. and Calvin Gage, to Rev. Nathaniel Bouton, E. S. Nutter, and Robert B. Caverly, in trust, all of the land lying east of the Northern Railroad, upon the island, for the purpose of establishing a memorial. Funds to the amount of $6,000 were raised by subscription. The statue and pedestal are of Concord granite, after a design by William Andrews, of Lowell. The sculptors were Andrew Orsolini, James Murray, and Charles H. Andrews, the builder Porter E. Blanchard.
The monument was unveiled 17 June, 1874, with appropriate ceremonies. There was a large gathering of people. Addresses were made by Rev. N. Bouton, of Concord ; R. Caverly, Esq. of Lowell ; Hon. G. W. Nesmith, of Franklin ; Maj. Gen. S. G. Griffin, of Keene ; D. O. Allen, of Lowell ; Hon. B. F. Prescott, of Epping ; Col. J. H. George, of Concord ; Rev. Elias Nason, of Billerica ; Charles C. Coffin, of Boston; Rev. W. T. Savage, of Franklin ; Ex.-Gov. Onslow Stearns, of Concord and others. Gov. James A. Weston accepted the deed in trust for the state.