One of the conditions of the land grant required the erection of a meeting-house. It was voted that a house be erected and that the sum of one hundred pounds be raised to enable the committee to go on in building a house forty feet long and of the same width as the Rumford Meeting house in Concord and two feet higher.
During the winter of 1738-9 the meeting-house was completed. The site selected by the committee was near the center of the cemetery, on the Plain. The pulpit is supposed to have been over the spot where rest the remains of Dea. Isaac Pearson, whose dying request was that he might be buried on the spot where the gospel had been preached by the first minister of the town and his successors. For thirty years the edifice was used for public worship and town-meetings. Upon its demolition, some of the timber was used in the construction of a stable, now owned by Mr. Emerson.
On May 16, 1739 the first meeting was held in the new meeting-house.
This first meeting-house in Contoocook was the twenty-seventh in the state. Those erected at an earlier date were in the following order :
MEETING-HOUSES IN THE STATE.
1685. Nashua (Dunstable)
1711. Hampton Falls
1729. Concord (Rumford)
1730. South Newmarket
1733. Dover, 2d
1734. North Hampton