Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge was on Depot Street and was the sixth bridges to be built over the Merrimack River at that one location. In 1803 the first bridge went in and lasted sixteen years until 1819 when it was swept away in a spring freshet. The bridge was rebuilt and..Read more

Proprietors First Meeting

The first meeting of the proprietors was called by John Coffin, and was held at the house of Archelaus Adams, in Newbury, on the 2nd of May, 1733. ‘ The proprietors as grantees of the plantation lately made & granted by the great and General Court of his Majesty province..Read more

The First Town Meeting

The first town-meeting was called by the proprietors’ clerk, Joseph Coffin. ” This may inform the Free holders & other inhabitants of the plantation formerly called Contoocook Is now by his excellency Benning Wentworth Esq Governor &c In & over His Majesty’s Province of New Hampshire made and Incorporated and..Read more

The Killing of Sabatis and Plansawa

During the summer, Sabatis and Plansawa, who had stolen the Negroes from Canterbury, made their appearance in Contoocook with furs for sale. After being in the vicinity for some time, they suddenly disappeared ; and rumor soon reported that Peter Bowen and John Morrill had killed them. Their bodies were..Read more

The First Meeting House

One of the conditions of the land grant required the erection of a meeting-house. It was voted that a house be erected and that the sum of one hundred pounds be raised to enable the committee to go on in building a house forty feet long and of the same..Read more

The First Fort

In 1739 the proprietors voted that a fort should be erected. The dimension of the enclosure to be one hundred feet square, built of hewn logs, seven feet high and eight inches thick when hewn and would be located on the “school lot. The probabilities are that it was erected..Read more

The Second Division of Lots

  In 1738 the Proprietors voted that there would be a second division of land. A committee was appointed that included Benjamin Rolfe, John Coffin, Edward Emery, Joseph Gerrish and Thomas Thorla. They were paid nine shilling a day for their services. John Brown was employed as surveyor and when..Read more

The First Settlers, Their First Year

Excerpts from Charles Coffins “HISTORY OF BOSCAWEN AND WEBSTER, FROM 1733 TO 1878” In the spring of 1734, the proprietors of Contoocook made preparation to comply with the conditions of their grant. Those intending to settle in the plantation left their homes in April. The route was from Newbury to..Read more